Gain computer confidence!
Specifically aimed at teaching you how to get the most from your computer, you will learn how to look after your investment, the ‘tuning’ you need to perform periodically to keep it in top condition, easy-to-use applications that will allow you to enjoy your computer, as well as how to safely use the Internet for a variety of activities that will open new avenues for communication and contact. You will also be provided with an introduction to the Microsoft Office programs.
Exercises, demonstrations and discussion activities are included with each lesson and are designed to teach basic computer skills showing you how to get the most from your computer.
Through instruction as well as guided exercises you will learn:
- how to look after your computer and keep it in top condition
- starting and shutting down your computer; working with windows
- keyboard and mouse skills
- various free applications for word processing, drawing, imaging and others that you can use every day
- how to format and save simple documents
- how to create, store and manage files that you create
- logging on to the internet; how to surf the web safely and the most popular internet applications people use
- the differences between email and web mail and how to choose which is best for you
- how to use Skype for free video phone calls, and other messaging software
- safety on the internet, simple steps you can take to protect yourself against malware
- how computing has gone mobile and what’s in store over the next five years
Topics in brief:
Computer basics - the parts of a computer; connecting it all together; stand-by, sleep and hibernation modes; using your keyboard and mouse; the importance of posture; typing tutorials
Understanding your operating system - working with windows, what your operating system does for you; setting system preferences; desktop, folders and applications; saving documents to your documents folder; file management
Using basic applications - using Word Pad; drawing programs; inserting pictures or graphics; formatting, saving and printing files; email; computer games
Extending your reach with the Internet - how to use the Internet; all about browsers and browser controls; surfing the Internet; protecting yourself on the Internet
Using email and other communication programs - email and webmail, Skype and instant messaging; an introduction to social media
Useful applications you can get or use for free from the Internet - popular Internet applications; Google maps; using the web for research; digital photography online; document storage using the Cloud
This short course is non-accredited therefore is not registered with the National Training Register. Course details
Gold Coast - Southport
Part time: 5 sessions / 1 day per week, 5 sessions / 1 night per week
- Full Fee $290
07 5581 8300
No matter your question,
we are here to help!
Real world experience that encourages innovation
I have long been passionate about all things computers. As I have gotten older, my passion within the industry has shifted towards providing security consulting, largely due to the direction and confidence instilled within me when completing my Diploma of IT course. Now that I am at university I continue to stay in contact with my teachers who remain interested and by my side should I need to call upon them for their practical, real world experience.
More about this course.
Make Great Happen
A qualification with TAFE Queensland Gold Coast will bring you practical & essential skills in your choosen field. Our hands-on training approved by industry, leads to great job outcomes for our students.