Build stability for your business
Many say that the biggest challenge when operating a small business, is dealing with the only resource that can think for itself, the staff! Why is managing people such a difficult process for many business operators? Is it because every person is different, with different drivers and motivators? Is it because people feel emotion and can be easily affected by the actions of others. Despite the reason and the size of your business, the people within will continue to be the most important and challenging aspects of your operations.
This three week course is designed for small business operators and their managers who are tasked with developing the skills of individuals within the workplace. Learn what human resource management is, and why the people within an organisation are so important. As part of this course you will also learn how to effectively communicate and coach staff, thus building the foundation of your performance development programs for all staff. Ultimately a focus on the people will not only result in changes in performance but also a reduction in staff turnover.
As this course is designed for business owners and management, this course is excellent for professional development regardless if you are an employee or an employer.
To reach their full potential it is recommended that students also study Communication and Persuasion for Professionals.
Day 1 – Introduction to Human Resource Management (HRM)
- The importance of HRM in small business
- The basic functions
- Foundation legislation
- Outlining business expectations
- How to write policies and procedures
- Developing a code of operation
Day 2 – People Development
- Importance of communication
- Effective staff coaching models
- STAR and STAAR
- Developing Performance Development Systems (PDS)
- Performance Standards and KPIs
- Using coaching models to conduct effective appraisals
- Building Personal Development Plans (PDP)
- Importance of reducing staff turnover
Day 3 – Recruitment, Selection and Induction
- Understanding the Anti-Discrimination Act 1991 (QLD)
- What is the recruitment process?
- Job descriptions and person specifications
- Writing position advertisements
- What is the selection process?
- Building a short list and conducting interviews
- Importance of the job offer
- What is the induction process?
- Purpose of the induction
This short course is non-accredited therefore is not registered with the National Training Register. Course details
Gold Coast - Southport
Part time: 2 sessions / 1 day per week
- Full Fee $190
07 5581 8300
No matter your question,
we are here to help!
Complement your work experience with relevant marketing principles
Working full-time, I needed a flexible course that could fit into my busy schedule. I enrolled part-time into TAFE Queensland Gold Coast's Diploma of Marketing which proved to be the perfect balance for my restrictive lifestyle. I gained confidence in knowing that the valuable skills I have learnt in class can now be put into practice within my workplace.
A thank you to all our amazing students. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with TAFE Queensland Gold Coast.