Applications should be made via Ramsay Health Care on (07) 3394 7624. Once accepted, students contact TAFE Queensland Gold Coast to enrol into the program.
There are no entry requirements outlined in the National Training Package, however TAFE Queensland Gold Coast requires the following entry requirements be met:
- Completed Year 12 or equivalent with sound achievement in English, Mathematics and computer skills or mature age with sound language, literacy, and numeracy skills.
- All applicants (direct entry or applying through QTAC) must provide a copy of their Year 12 certificate. Applicants that are not able to produce a copy of this document are required to complete the Basic Key Skills Builder (BKSB) test before enrolment.
- Permanent resident of Australia. If you are originally from a non-English speaking background you are required to supply evidence of an IELTS score, achieving a minimum score of 6 in each of the four components of listening, reading, writing and speaking. Evidence to be submitted with your application.
- Prepared to participate in a minimum of 400 hours of vocational placement.
- Access to the internet and have an email account.
- Microsoft Word or Office for Mac on your computer.
- Must be available to attend each Residential School as scheduled. All students are to arrange their own travel and accommodation requirements at their own expense. A list of local accommodation options is located on Student Connect which can be accessed after enrolment.
The Diploma of Nursing Online is not CRICOS registered.
IMPORTANT: For Registration as an Enrolled Nurse, all applicants, including internationally qualified applicants, who seek initial registration in Australia, must demonstrate that they have the necessary English language skills. Further information is available at the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia website: http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au
Condition of Enrolment – Privacy
- National Student Register: Under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law, all students enrolled in an approved nursing or midwifery course of study must be registered for the duration of study or until they are no longer enrolled in an approved course of study. The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia, working in partnership with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) maintains this Student Register and reflects the profile of students as advised by Australia’s education providers. The Student Register is not public and, in relation to students, is limited to recording student health impairment matters or criminal convictions of a serious nature. AHPRA has no role to play in the academic progress or conduct of students which continues to be a core responsibility of educational providers. Providing student details to AHPRA is a condition placed upon the Institute as your education provider, and therefore it is a condition of entry into this course that you consent to the release of your details accordingly. Further information can be found at the AHPRA Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia website: http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au
- Vocational Placement - Student details are provided to Health Care facilities for the purposes of vocational placement. Vocational placement is a core element of this course and therefore it is a condition of enrolment that you consent to the release of your information accordingly.
Recognition of Prior Learning
For RPL enquiries students can contact the RPL team at email@example.com
Students wishing to gain recognition of an international nursing qualification are advised to contact the AHPRA Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia: http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au
Optional incidental costs of $729.00 (all prices inclusive of GST) include:
- Textbooks $649.00 - includes postage and handling (books will be mailed directly to students after start of study).
- Nursing Kit $30.00 - (provided to students at the first Residential School)
- Resource USB $50.00 - (copy of course contents for offline work needed) - includes postage and handling. (USB will be mailed directly to students after start of study).
- Access to IntelliLearn for Medication training (Online program)
IMPORTANT: These items are required for your study, however the purchase of these items with TAFE Queensland Gold Coast is optional. Students who choose to purchase the nursing kit and textbooks elsewhere will be provided with a contents list. Any nursing resources issued are non-refundable.
If purchasing with TAFE Queensland Gold Coast students must pay the incidentals they require upfront in full (there is no payment plan option for these),
Additional costs may include:
- Uniform requirements - long pants (black or navy only) and low heel enclosed nursing/walking shoes (black or navy only). This is the MANDATORY UNIFORM for ALL Practical lab sessions and vocational placements (see attachment for guidelines).
- Annual CPR update with TAFE Queensland Gold Coast approximately $51.00
- Recommended textbooks. The book pack available for purchase contains required books only. A comprehensive list of all textbooks (required and recommended) can be downloaded from the Relevant Documents section at the bottom of this page.
(Prices are correct at time of printing and are subject to change).
Prospective students must have the following computer technical specifications before they can access the course materials and participate in the learning program:
- Minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels.
- Windows PC or Apple Mac - please note: portable devices (smartphones, iPads, tablets, slates) are not supported by the Learning Management System, and may not work properly for assessments.
- Student Connect has been designed to function on these minimum browser versions: Firefox 3.6 (highly recommended for students), Google Chrome 8, Safari 5, Internet Explorer 7 with Google Chrome Frame installed, Internet Explorer 8 - older versions of browsers may not correctly display information.
- ADSL or Cable broadband is highly recommended. You will require a broadband connection with a minimum of 1GB per/month of data as you will be required to download online resources for your studies. You will need this capacity to ensure you do not exceed your monthly limits. Please check with your ISP on how to monitor and avoid excess data fees.
- Audio playback is enabled on your computer (many activities use audio interaction).
- When downloading documents, it is recommended that they are saved to your computer prior to opening or working with them.
- Students may require a headset with the capacity to listen and talk back (USB connection headsets are known to give superior sound quality)
To fully access the study materials available to you, you are required to have the following software and plugins installed on your computer.
Adobe Flash Player
To complete this course, you are required to have the Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer. Certain presentations and activities are delivered in Flash format that requires this player (plugin). You can download the Adobe Flash Player from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Adobe Shockwave Plugin
To complete this course, you are required to have the Adobe Shockwave Plugin installed on your computer. Certain presentations and activities are delivered in Shockwave format that requires this plugin. You can download the Adobe Shockwave Plugin from http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/
To be able to view particular readings and also access the study guides within this course you are required to have the Adobe Reader plugin/program installed on your computer. You can download the Adobe Reader from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
To be able to view and access iConnect / Elluminate within this course you are required to have the Java plugin installed on your computer. You can download Java from http://www.java.com/en/
Microsoft Word (or an alternative)
To read and complete assessments you are required to have Microsoft Word 2010 installed on your computer. However, if you are using MS Word 2007 or below there is an option to save your document to an older format .doc. Please choose this format if you are to use this version of Microsoft Word
Recommended alternatives to Microsoft Word for PC and Mac
- Open Office (free) - Open Office Website
- Microsoft Office - Available from the Mac App Store
- iWork - Available from the Mac App Store
- Open Office (free) - Open Office Website
These software packages have the function to be able to export documents as MS Word DOC format. Students using these packages can export their work into this format prior to submission.
This course is delivered online full-time for 18 months incorporating a variety of delivery methods including:
- Online content through Connect (please note: students require a personal email address and proficient computing skills to be able to access online materials and navigate around an online learning environment)
- Practical skills development in simulated nursing labs and hands-on experience in vocational placement. Practical skills are presented and assessed at three mandatory Residential Schools (one per semester) at TAFE Queensland Gold Coast, Southport. Residential Schools may be scheduled between 7.30am to 9.00pm for up to 8 hours per day. Semester 1 and Semester 2 requires attendance for 2 weeks at a time. Semester 3 requires attendance for one week.
- Successful students will then participate in a minimum of 400 mandatory vocational placement hours throughout the course.
- Participation in the course is supported by expert facilitators who are available via email, chat rooms, forums or by appointment.
- As an online student, theoretical study is done in the comfort of your home with the majority of exams and assignments submitted online.
- Clinical placements are available at Berkeley Vale Private, Lake Macquarie Private and Warners Bay Private.
It is expected that full-time students will need to commit to approximately 30-35 hours per week or the equivalent of 4 days per week to study.
Students are advised to consider their personal circumstances carefully when selecting their preferred mode of study. Whilst changes to a mode of study after the close of enrolment may be possible (approval required) students are advised that whilst all efforts are made for this to be a smooth transition they may experience a disruption to tuition, payment plans and online delivery.
Mandatory Residential School Dates for the July 2016 intake:
Semester 1: Dates to be advised
Semester 2: Dates to be advised
Semester 3: Dates to be advised
Dates are correct at time of printing however Semester 2 and 3 Residential School dates are subject to change.
Assessment methods and tools may include: oral tasks (questions), written tasks (workbook, exams), online tasks (multiple choice, exams, uploading of assignments), group work and discussions (case studies, role plays, presentations), practical skills demonstration (with case studies and observation checklists) and vocational placement.
You will need to have your Student ID Card SALTO activated to attend classes in the evening. Please speak to a Customer Service consultant for further information
Students will be required to attend Vocational Placement each semester to demonstrate the application of knowledge and skills in the workplace. Students must complete a minimum of 400 hours of vocational placement throughout the duration of their program. This is a mandatory industry requirement of HLT51612 Diploma of Nursing (Enrolled-Division 2 Nursing).
In accordance with industry expectation students must attend mandatory vocational placement requirements as stated below:
Depending on allocations and availability of facilities, placements will consist of:
- Semester 1: 3 weeks full-time
- Semester 2: 4 weeks full-time (may be broken into two x two week blocks as determined by the facility’s preference)
- Semester 3: 4 weeks full-time (may be broken into two x two week blocks as determined by the facility’s preference)
- Participate in a variety of shifts including morning and afternoon shifts as determined by the facility’s preference (*morning shifts may start as early as 6.00am and evening shifts may finish as late as 11.00pm).
- Night and weekend shifts may be an option for Semester 3 students and will only be determined by the facility’s preference and their negotiation with TQGC
- Part time placements cannot be requested by students
Students are responsible for:
- organising their own transport to and from the facilities
- organising leave with their employer (if applicable)
- planning financially for their unpaid vocational placement period
The Institute’s Vocational Placement team will work in collaboration with students and facilities to coordinate vocational placement activity, and students will be provided with due notice for placement. The health industry has predetermined processes for scheduling placement availability and students are directed not to request individual placement directly with facilities. All placement requests must be initiated through TAFE Queensland Gold Coast.
Please note: The Health Industry dictates that TAFE Queensland Gold Coast must ensure that all students going on placement in health care facilities hold the following documentation. Students are not eligible to attend mandatory vocational placement assessment without these documents. Not attending vocational placement assessment will delay course progression.
- First Aid and current CPR
If you have a current Australian First Aid Certificate with current CPR, forward a JP certified copy of your Statement of Attainment with your enrolment paperwork.
If you DO NOT have a current Australian First Aid Certificate, this certificate is delivered as part of this course and covers both HLTFA311A (required for Diploma) and HLTAID003 (current First Aid unit).
- Blue Card or interstate equivalent
Queensland students, please forward your completed application for Blue Card (Working with Children Check Queensland) http://www.bluecard.qld.gov.au to TAFE. Interstate students must refer to their state websites for further information or contact our Customer Service for assistance.
- Australian Federal Police Check (AFP)
Potential students are advised to contact the Vocational Placement Coordinator should they have any notification or criminal history as this may impact on their acceptance by facilities for placement assessment and therefore affect course outcomes. Students must be able to provide an original Australian Federal Police check on request of a facility at any time. Please refer to the Australian Federal Police website to download the application form at http://www.afp.gov.au. Approximate cost $45.00 (N.B: The certificate MUST be issued by the Australian Federal Police. All other types of police checks will not be accepted.)
- You must be fully immunised or have commenced the vaccination regimes at time of enrolment, per the list below. You must provide full vaccination history for all of the following vaccination regimes:
- Hepatitis B – you must also provide serology evidence of active immunity
- Varicella (Chicken pox) – you must also provide serology evidence of active immunity
- MMR (Measles Mumps and Rubella) – you must also provide serology evidence of active immunity
- dTpa (Adult Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis) - you must have evidence that you have received a booster within the last 10 years
- Influenza (Usually available during cooler months)
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure their documentation remains current throughout their studies.
- Any costs associated in acquiring the above documents are in addition to course costs and will be borne by the student.
The Institute strongly recommends that prior to enrolment students consider their eligibility to obtain the above documentation.