The following are TAFE Queensland Gold Coast entry requirements:
- Applicants should have language, literacy and numeracy skills equivalent to Year 10.
- Prepared to participate in the required hours of vocational placement and hold the necessary mandatory documentation (see Placement below).
- Prepared to participate in the required Residential School.
- Applicants should also possess computer skills including being able to operate a personal computer and printer, create and manage basic files, navigate a learning management system, perform basic tasks such as word processing, sending and receiving emails with attachments, uploading and downloading documents and using web based search engines.
- Students who hold a HLTAID003 First Aid Certificate can apply for a credit transfer. Please produce the original documents upon enrolment.
- To access Higher Level Skills funding for this course the prospective student must meet all subsidy eligibility.
- Further funding incentives apply to this course. Please speak with a Customer Service Consultant on (07) 5581 8300 to check your eligibility.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL): For RPL enquiries please contact the RPL Team at email@example.com.
Students will be required to access online content as part of this course so must have access to a computer and the internet.
Students will be required to purchase a polo shirt for vocational placement $35.00 - further information on ordering will be sent to students after enrolment. (Price quoted is correct at time of printing and are subject to change).
Prospective students must have the following computer technical specifications before they can access the course materials and participate in the learning program:
- Minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels
- Windows PC or Apple Mac - please note: portable devices (smartphones, iPads, tablets, slates) do not necessarily support all the features of Connect, our Learning Management System, and may not work properly for submitting assessments
- Computer running a minimum of Windows 7 or Apple Macintosh OSX 10.8
- Connect has been designed to function on these minimum browser versions: Google Chrome (latest) (highly recommended for students), Firefox (latest), Safari (latest), Internet Explorer 10 - older versions of browsers may not correctly display information
- ADSL or Cable Broadband is highly recommended
- Audio playback enabled on your computer (many activities use audio interaction)
- Students may require a headset with the capacity to listen and talk back (USB connection headsets are known to give superior sound quality)
This course is delivered over 9 months and carries a full-time study load incorporating a variety of delivery methods including:
- Theory is delivered online.
- Weekly tutorial is held from 6.00pm-8.00pm on Wednesdays at Southport. Attendance at the weekly tutorial is highly recommended for maximum learning outcomes. The first tutorial will be held on Wednesday 7 February 2018.
- Mandatory Residential School - where practical components are undertaken from Tuesday 28 August to Thursday 30 August and Monday 3 September to Wednesday 5 September 2018 from 8.30am-4.30pm at Southport, Level 2, Rooms 214/215/216 (Practical Labs).
- Classroom attendance is required for First Aid which will be held on Monday 27 August 2018 from 8.00am-5.00pm at Southport.
- Vocational placement - students are required to complete 120 hours of vocational placement after successful completion of the Residential School and First Aid.
In accordance with industry expectation and availability of places, students must be available to:
- attend full-time block placements of three weeks or more, five days per week
- travel within 45 minutes radius of their area per Google map to attend vocational placement
- attend the vocational placement shifts as per the facilities requirements which may commence as early as 6.00am
Students are responsible for:
- organising their own transport to and from study and vocational placement as well as any domestic arrangements
- organising leave with their employer (if applicable)
- planning financially for their unpaid vocational placement
- completing online study as per their timetable whilst on placement
TAFE Queensland Gold Coast sources and coordinates vocational placement on the students’ behalf. Our Vocational Placement Team will work in collaboration with students and facilities to coordinate vocational placement activity, and students will be provided with due notice for shift work.
With prior TAFE Queensland Gold Coast approval, vocational placement may be arranged in a student’s current workplace. Students will need to speak with the Vocational Placement Team immediately after enrolment to confirm these details.
Condition of Enrolment - privacy
Student details are provided to Health Care and Community Service organisations for the purposes of vocational placement. 120 hours of vocational placement is a core element of this program and therefore it is a condition of enrolment that you consent to the release of your information accordingly.
Please note: The Health Industry dictates that TAFE Queensland Gold Coast must ensure that all students going on placement in health care facilities hold the following documentation. Students are not eligible to attend mandatory vocational placement assessment without these documents. There will be a strict timeframe for students to provide the necessary placement requirements. Not attending vocational placement assessment will delay course progression.
1. Current First Aid including CPR
If you have a current Australian First Aid Certificate with current CPR, forward a JP certified copy of your Statement of Attainment with your enrolment paperwork. The CPR component will need to be updated annually and it is the student’s responsibility to ensure they provide evidence of currency to TAFE Queensland Gold Coast. If you DO NOT have a current Australian First Aid Certificate, this certificate is delivered as part of this course.
2. Working with Children Check
Queensland students - The Working with Children Check (Blue Card Application) must be completed in person for Queensland students who live less than 50 km from TAFE Queensland Gold Coast, Southport Campus. Information can be viewed at http://www.bluecard.qld.gov.au All original identification documents need to be sighted and students are requested to bring these documents with them for submission of their application. If a student resides more than 50 km from TAFE Queensland Gold Coast, the ‘Confirmation of identity’ form must be submitted with the Blue Card application. Students may submit this by email or in person.
Interstate students - must refer to their state websites for further information on how to apply for a Working with Children Check.
3. Australian Federal Police Check (AFP)
Potential students are advised to contact the Vocational Placement Coordinator should they have any notification or criminal history as this may impact on their acceptance by facilities for placement assessment and therefore affect course outcomes. Students must be able to provide an original Australian Federal Police check on request of a facility at any time. Please refer to the Australian Federal Police website to download the application form at http://www.afp.gov.au. Approximate cost $45.00 (N.B: The certificate MUST be issued by the Australian Federal Police. All other types of police checks will not be accepted.) Your current AFP documentation must be no older than 3 months prior to the start of study.
4. You must have commenced the vaccination regimes listed below before or at the time of enrolment. You must provide full vaccination history for all of the following vaccination regimes, including serology evidence of immunity where indicated. You may also need to contact your local doctor to assist you with this evidence.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Vaccination and serology evidence requirements may alter during your studies, in accordance with changes to industry requirements and/or Australian Immunisation Guidelines.
- Hepatitis B - you must commence or have undertaken an age appropriate course of vaccination. Students must not undertake an accelerated course of vaccination. To prove immunity you will need to have a blood test (serology) after the completion of the full vaccination course.
- Varicella (Chicken Pox) - provide serology or evidence of completed vaccinations.
- MMR (Measles Mumps and Rubella) - provide serology or evidence of completed vaccinations.
- dTpa (Adult Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis) - provide evidence that you have received a booster within the last 10 years.
- Influenza is recommended but not mandatory.
- Completion of the TAFE Queensland Gold Coast Tuberculosis Screening form.
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure their documentation remains current throughout their studies.
- Any costs associated in acquiring the above documents are in addition to course costs and will be borne by the student.
- TAFE Queensland Gold Coast strongly recommends that prior to enrolment students consider their eligibility to obtain the above documentation.
- It is highly recommended that prior to enrolment students consider their eligibility to obtain the mandatory documentation.
- Mandatory requirements for vocational placement may also include the completion of specific online learning per health facility or state health requirements. Students are responsible for ensuring this is completed prior to the required date.
- Cancellation fees may apply to students in the event of cancellations of allocated placements. Cancellation of placement requires valid evidence of extenuating circumstances.
- Students are responsible for keeping a copy of all assessment records including vocational placement assessments. Requests for personal copies will incur a fee.