16 Jul 2018
Applications should be made via the Ramsay Health Care website. Once accepted students contact TAFE Queensland Gold Coast to enrol into the program.
There are no entry requirements outlined in the National Training Package, however TAFE Queensland Gold Coast requires the following entry requirements be met:
- Completed Year 12 or equivalent with sound achievement in English, Mathematics and computer skills or mature age with sound language, literacy, and numeracy skills.
- Permanent resident of Australia. If you are originally from a non-English speaking background you are required to supply evidence of an IELTS score, achieving a minimum score of 6 in each of the four components of listening, reading, writing and speaking. Evidence to be submitted with your application.
- Prepared to participate in a minimum of 400 hours of vocational placement.
- Mandatory documentation is required in order to participate in the hours of vocational placement (see Placement section below for further details)
- Access to the internet and have an email account.
- Microsoft Word or Office for Mac on your computer.
- To access Higher Level Skills funding for this course the prospective student must meet all subsidy eligibility.
VET Student Loan (VSL) - All applicants enrolling into this Diploma using the VET Student Loan option must provide a copy of their Year 12 certificate or an Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) Level 4 qualification or above issued in Australia. Applicants that are not able to produce a copy of this document are required to complete the Basic Key Skills Builder (BKSB) test before enrolment.
Greenslopes Private Hospital requires the following entry requirements to be met:
- Possess good verbal and written communication skills
- Possess good interpersonal skills and function effectively in a team
- Demonstrate commitment to ongoing professional development
- Willing to embrace the values of the Ramsay way
- Provide a cover letter and address the key elements in the application package
- Applications to be submitted directly to Ramsay Health Care
- Sound achievement in English or a minimum of 7 on each band of the International English Language Testing System (http://www.ielts.org)
IMPORTANT: For Registration as an Enrolled Nurse, all applicants, including internationally qualified applicants, who seek initial registration in Australia, must demonstrate that they have the necessary English language skills. Further information is available at the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia website: http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au
Condition of Enrolment – Privacy
- National Student Register: Under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law, all students enrolled in an approved nursing or midwifery course of study must be registered for the duration of study or until they are no longer enrolled in an approved course of study. The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia, working in partnership with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) maintains this Student Register and reflects the profile of students as advised by Australia’s education providers. The Student Register is not public and, in relation to students, is limited to recording student health impairment matters or criminal convictions of a serious nature. AHPRA has no role to play in the academic progress or conduct of students which continues to be a core responsibility of educational providers. Providing student details to AHPRA is a condition placed upon TAFE as your education provider, and therefore it is a condition of entry into this course that you consent to the release of your details accordingly. Further information can be found at the AHPRA Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia website: http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au
- Vocational Placement - Student details are provided to Ramsay Health Care for the purposes of vocational placement. Vocational placement is a core element of this course and therefore it is a condition of enrolment that you consent to the release of your information accordingly.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Students require the following:
- Nursing Kit: cost $130. Nursing Kits are no longer available for purchase through TAFE Queensland Gold Coast. Please see attached Nursing Kit Contents List. It is recommended that students bring their Nursing Kit to all Residential Schools.
- Greenslopes Private Hospital uniforms: $124.00 for two full sets. These will be available for ordering at the Greenslopes Orientation.
- For placement purposes, students must ensure their First Aid certificate remains current for the entire length of course.
Students experiencing internet connection issues have the option of purchasing the following item:
- Offline content on USB: $50.00 including postage and handling. This USB does not replace the need to have access to a reliable home internet connection to undertake the Diploma of Nursing. The USB is mailed out after your Census date for HLTENN002. IMPORTANT NOTE: Internet hyperlinks will not work in offline content on the USB.
Any resources issued through TAFE Queensland Gold Coast are non-refundable once provided to the student.
(Prices are correct at time of printing and are subject to change).
Prospective students must have the following computer technical specifications before they can access the course materials and participate in the learning program:
- Minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels
- Windows PC or Apple Mac - please note: portable devices (smartphones, iPads, tablets, slates) do not necessarily support all the features of Connect, our Learning Management System, and may not work properly for submitting assessments
- Computer running a minimum of Windows 7 or Apple Macintosh OSX 10.8
- Connect has been designed to function on these minimum browser versions: Google Chrome (latest) (highly recommended for students), Firefox (latest), Safari (latest), Internet Explorer 10 - older versions of browsers may not correctly display information
- ADSL or Cable Broadband is highly recommended with a minimum of 1GB per/month of data as you will be required to download online resources for your studies. You will need this capacity to ensure you do not exceed your monthly limits. Please check with your ISP on how to monitor and avoid excess data fees.
- Audio playback enabled on your computer (many activities use audio interaction)
- Students may require a headset with the capacity to listen and talk back (USB connection headsets are known to give superior sound quality)
- When downloading documents, it is recommended that they are saved to your computer prior to opening or working with them.
To fully access the study materials available to you, you are required to have the following software and plugins installed on your computer.
Adobe Flash Player
To complete this course, you are required to have the Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer. Certain presentations and activities are delivered in Flash format that requires this player (plugin). You can download the Adobe Flash Player from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Adobe Shockwave Plugin
To complete this course, you are required to have the Adobe Shockwave Plugin installed on your computer. Certain presentations and activities are delivered in Shockwave format that requires this plugin. You can download the Adobe Shockwave Plugin from http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/
To be able to view particular readings and also access the study guides within this course you are required to have the Adobe Reader plugin/program installed on your computer. You can download the Adobe Reader from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
To be able to view and access iConnect / Elluminate within this course you are required to have the Java plugin installed on your computer. You can download Java from http://www.java.com/en/
Microsoft Word (or an alternative)
To read and complete assessments you are required to have Microsoft Word 2010 installed on your computer. However, if you are using MS Word 2007 or below there is an option to save your document to an older format .doc. Please choose this format if you are to use this version of Microsoft Word
Recommended alternatives to Microsoft Word for PC and Mac
- Microsoft Office - Available from the Mac App Store
- iWork - Available from the Mac App Store
- Open Office (free) - Open Office Website
These software packages have the function to be able to export documents as MS Word DOC format. Students using these packages can export their work into this format prior to submission.
This course is delivered full-time for 18 months incorporating a variety of delivery methods including:
- Face-to-face classes and workshops scheduled two days per week from 8.30am to 4.45pm.
- Online content (please note: students require a personal email address, and proficient computing skills to be able to access online materials and navigate around an online learning environment). Online facilitators will provide schedules for online video conferencing sessions at the commencement of online units.
- Practical skills will be developed through essential clinical workshops, simulated nursing labs and hands-on experience in vocational placement.
Learning is supported by expert facilitators who are available through face-to-face delivery and via email, phone, chat rooms and forums.
Assessment methods and tools may include: oral tasks (questions), written tasks (workbook, exams), online tasks (multiple choice, exams, uploading of assignments), group work and discussions (case studies, role plays, presentations), practical skills demonstration (with case studies and observation checklists) and vocational placement.
Vocational placement will commence after successful completion of Stage 1 theory and practical learning. Vocational placement is undertaken two days per week as scheduled at Greenslopes Private Hospital or as may be negotiated, at another Ramsay Health Care facility. A minimum of 400 hours of vocational placement must be completed.
In accordance with industry standard for nursing employees, students must be prepared to participate in a variety of shifts including morning, afternoon, evening, night and weekends (*morning shifts may start as early as 6.00am and evening shifts may finish as late as 11.00pm). There may be some negotiation of preferences for this component of the program based upon availability.
Students are responsible for:
- organising their own transport to and from study and vocational placement
- planning financially for their unpaid vocational placement
Please note: The Health Industry dictates that TAFE Queensland Gold Coast must ensure that all students going on placement in health care facilities hold the following documentation. Students are not eligible to attend mandatory vocational placement assessment without these documents. There will be a strict timeframe for students to provide the necessary placement requirements. Not attending vocational placement assessment will delay course progression.
1. Current First Aid including CPR
If you have a current Australian First Aid Certificate with current CPR, forward a JP certified copy of your Statement of Attainment with your enrolment paperwork. The CPR component will need to be updated annually and it is the student’s responsibility to ensure they provide evidence of currency to TAFE Queensland Gold Coast. If you DO NOT have a current Australian First Aid Certificate, this certificate is delivered as part of this course.
2. Working with Children Check
Queensland students - The Working with Children Check (Blue Card Application) must be completed in person for Queensland students who live less than 50 km from TAFE Queensland Gold Coast, Southport Campus. Information can be viewed at http://www.bluecard.qld.gov.au All original identification documents need to be sighted and students are requested to bring these documents with them for submission of their application. If a student resides more than 50 km from TAFE Queensland Gold Coast, the ‘Confirmation of identity’ form must be submitted with the Blue Card application. Students may submit this by email or in person.
Interstate students - must refer to their state websites for further information on how to apply for a Working with Children Check.
3. Australian Federal Police Check (AFP)
Potential students are advised to contact the Vocational Placement Coordinator should they have any notification or criminal history as this may impact on their acceptance by facilities for placement assessment and therefore affect course outcomes. Students must be able to provide an original Australian Federal Police check on request of a facility at any time. Please refer to the Australian Federal Police website to download the application form at http://www.afp.gov.au. Approximate cost $45.00 (N.B: The certificate MUST be issued by the Australian Federal Police. All other types of police checks will not be accepted.) Your current AFP documentation must be no older than 3 months prior to the start of study.
4. You must have commenced the vaccination regimes listed below before or at the time of enrolment. You must provide full vaccination history for all of the following vaccination regimes, including serology evidence of immunity where indicated. You may also need to contact your local doctor to assist you with this evidence.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Vaccination and serology evidence requirements may alter during your studies, in accordance with changes to industry requirements and/or Australian Immunisation Guidelines.
- Hepatitis B - you must commence or have undertaken an age appropriate course of vaccination. Students must not undertake an accelerated course of vaccination. To prove immunity you will need to have a blood test (serology) after the completion of the full vaccination course.
- Varicella (Chicken Pox) - provide serology or evidence of completed vaccinations.
- MMR (Measles Mumps and Rubella) - provide serology or evidence of completed vaccinations.
- dTpa (Adult Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis) - provide evidence that you have received a booster within the last 10 years.
- Influenza is recommended but not mandatory.
- Completion of the TAFE Queensland Gold Coast Tuberculosis Screening form.
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure their documentation remains current throughout their studies.
- Any costs associated in acquiring the above documents are in addition to course costs and will be borne by the student.
- TAFE Queensland Gold Coast strongly recommends that prior to enrolment students consider their eligibility to obtain the above documentation.
- Mandatory requirements for vocational placement may also include the completion of specific online learning per Ramsay Health Care facility requirements. Students are responsible for ensuring this is completed prior to the required date.
- Cancellation fees may apply to students in the event of cancellations of allocated placements. Cancellation of placement requires valid evidence of extenuating circumstances.
- Students are responsible for keeping a copy of all assessment records including vocational placement assessments. Requests for personal copies will incur a fee.