This qualification has no formal entry requirements however TAFE Queensland Gold Coast requires the following:
- Year 10 or equivalent.
- English literacy to a Year 10 level - if concerned please contact staff to discuss further.
- Sound levels of computer and literacy skills.
- A valid and appropriate email account.
- If you are under 17 years of age, special enrolment conditions may apply. Please email email@example.com for more information prior to enrolling.
- Students must be physically, emotionally and mentally "fit for practice" for the purpose of vocational placement.
- To access Higher Level Skills funding for this course the prospective student must meet all subsidy eligibility.
- Further funding incentives also apply to this course. Please speak with a Customer Service Consultant on (07) 5581 8300 to check your eligibility.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL): For RPL enquiries please contact the RPL Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students need to wear black protective waterproof work shoes and long, black, work pants/trousers for practical days and placement.
- Students are to purchase a navy blue scrub top (with TAFE logo and the words animal science on it) directly from our supplier Gold Coast Uniforms, 55 Nerang Street, Southport ph: 5591 5199. Hours: Monday-Thursday 9.00am-6.00pm and Friday 9.00am-5.00pm. Cost $40.00 (Prices are correct at time of printing and are subject to change).
- Students are required to purchase a textbook "BSAVA Textbook of Veterinary Nursing" 5th edition by Barbara Cooper, Elizabeth Mullineaux and Lynn Turner. Approximate cost $120.00.
- It is recommended that students have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player. This equipment and software is available for students to use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
- Students are required to organise their own travel to and from Loganlea TAFE, Grovely TAFE and any animal care facility over the duration of the program.
- Delivered as a combination of lectures at TAFE Queensland Gold Coast, Southport and practical sessions at an animal care facility, along with practical days at Loganlea TAFE and Grovely TAFE.
- The online component is delivered via Connect, our Learning Management System, and we ensure you will be supported every step of the way.
Classes are delivered:
- One day per week - Wednesday from 8.00am-3.00pm at TAFE Queensland Gold Coast, Southport.
- One day per week - (day to be advised) practical classes at Loganlea TAFE and Grovely TAFE (majority will be at Loganlea TAFE), plus some days in an animal care facility in the Gold Coast region
- After hours workshops from 6.00pm-9.00pm (evening to be advised).
- One day per week - work placement (day to be advised). Hours may vary between 7.00am and 9.00pm depending on clinic hours.
Students will be required to attend vocational placement to demonstrate the application of knowledge and skills in the workplace. Students must complete a minimum of 480 hours of vocational placement throughout the duration of the program. This is a mandatory industry requirement for ACM40412 Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing.
Students are required to attend a minimum of 8 hours over one day per week with dates and times as negotiated between all parties. Our Vocational Placement Team will work in collaboration with facilities to coordinate your vocational placement assessment requirements. If a student has made prior placement arrangements with a clinic or is currently working in the industry, please contact us to discuss this further.
Students are responsible for:
- Making themselves available for an allocated placement
- Organising their own transport to and from study and vocational placement
- Organising leave with their employer (if applicable)
- Planning financially for their unpaid vocational placement
Acceptability for vocational placement is at the discretion of the veterinary clinic.
Australian Federal Police Check (AFP)
Enrolled students are advised to contact the Vocational Placement Coordinator should they have any notification or criminal history as this may impact on their acceptance by facilities for placement assessment and therefore affect course outcomes. Students must be able to provide an original Australian Federal Police check on request of a facility at any time. Please refer to the Australian Federal Police website to download the application form at http://www.afp.gov.au. Approximate cost $45.00 (N.B: The certificate MUST be issued by the Australian Federal Police. All other types of police checks will not be accepted.) Your current AFP documentation must be no older than 3 months prior to the start of study.
Working in certain jobs increases your exposure to some vaccine-preventable diseases. TAFE Queensland Gold Coast recommends the following vaccinations in line with the Queensland Government’s occupational immunisations for veterinary students, which is based on research from the National Health and Medical Research Council (https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/immunisation/occupational/index.html):
- TAFE Queensland also strongly recommends students are up-to-date with their Tetanus vaccine
IMPORTANT NOTE: Vaccination and serology evidence requirements may alter during your studies in accordance with changes to industry requirements and/or Australian Immunisation Guidelines.
- You will be required to attend a routine mandatory orientation at the facility to be eligible.
- Cancellation fees may apply to students in the event of cancellations of allocated placements. Cancellation of placement requires valid evidence of extenuating circumstances.
- Students are responsible for keeping a copy of all assessment records including vocational placement assessments. Requests for personal copies will incur a fee.