The Higher Level Skills (HLS) Program provides eligible individuals with access to one (1) subsidised training place in selected Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) skill set, certificate IV level and above qualifications from 1st July 2014. It is important that potential students consider their training options before committing to a course which will use up their once-only one-off entitlement.
The Queensland Government will fund course costs for a variety of different Skill Sets, Diploma qualifications, as well as a limited selection of Certificate IV courses offered at TAFE Queensland Gold Coast. The amount of subsidy provided will depend upon the course chosen. Students who hold a health care or pensioner concession card will receive a higher subsidy. The remainder of the course cost must be met by the student.
Some courses have additional eligibility criteria to access the funding such as employment status (i.e. be currently employed within the relevant industry, run own small business, or hold a relevant pre-requisite certificate III).
To be eligible for a Higher Level Skills subsidy a student must:
- Not hold or be currently undertaking a certificate IV or higher level qualification (this does not include foundation skills training or Certificate IV or Diploma qualifications completed before 1996)
- Be 15 years of age or older
- Have finished secondary school or are no longer at school
- Be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian permanent resident (includes humanitarian entrant) or a temporary resident with the necessary visa and work permits on the pathway to permanent residency
- Permanently reside in Queensland
- Meet any specific employment status requirement (if applicable)
- Meet any specific pre-requisite qualification requirement (if applicable)
- Must agree to complete an employment survey within three (3) months of completing or discontinuing subsidised training
- Not be enrolled with a Registered Training Organisation on a 'Deferred' status
- Not have previously completed the below Skill Sets under the Higher Level Skills subsidy:
Basic Open Cabler Registration Skill Set
Civil Works - Installation of Pit and Pipe and FDH Skill Set
National Broadband Network Advanced Linesworker/Installer Skill Set
National Broadband Network Splicer Skill Set
Case management skill set
Chronic disease self management skill set
Management skill set - to promote and establish a mental health peer workforce
Medication assistance skill set
Chronic Condition Self-management for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Clients Skill Set
Mentoring and Supervision
Farm Business Management Skill Set
Service for International Visitors
To check your eligibility for government subsidised training in Queensland visit the Queensland Skills Gateway website.